How many times have you heard “Mom play with me” or “Mom I am bored, let’s do something” and you’ve left all your duties just to play with your child? We think that it is absolutely important for you to play with your kid and spend most of your time with him/her,…
Survival Tips For Stepfamily Life
When someone prepares for a trip to a remote, rugged part of the world, he would be wise to do some research so he can know what to expect. Forming a stepfamily through marriage or remarriage is much the same. Yet it’s amazing how many couples travel to this foreign country of stepfamily living with little or no preparation. But there are few things which you must keep in mind.
1. Consult a travel agent: Before going to the foreign land of stepfamily living, find out as much as you can about the culture, social expectations, spirituality, relationship rules, and expectations of those who live there. Keep in mind that you will not be a visitor but a new citizen, so you will need to understand life as it is. The more you know, the better you’ll be able to navigate the terrain.
2. Keep perspective: Traveling to a foreign country will require emotional adjustment and many transitions on your part.
3. Nurture your marriage: All stress in a stepfamily, even if it begins with ex-spouses or children from another home, eventually ends up in your marriage.
4. Connect in: Focus on activities that build relationship between “insiders and outsiders”. Ensure to take advantage of the natural connecting points (interests and activities) that people in your stepfamily share.
5. Remember the value of traditions: Keep some old ones (for the sake of the kids) and create a few new ones over time (to give the family a new sense of identity).
6. Be a team: Parents and stepparents should find consensus in family rules and how they will work together.